Cummins Inc. Vehicle Test and Validation Engineer - Technical Specialist in West Sacramento, California
Vehicle Test and Validation Engineer - Technical Specialist
VEHICLE TEST & VALIDATION ENGINEER- TECHNICAL SPECIALIST
We are looking for a talented VEHICLE TEST & VALIDATION ENGINEER- TECHNICAL SPECIALIST to join our team specializing in ENGINEERING for our NEW POWER BUSINESS UNIT in WEST SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA .
In this role, you will make an impact in the following ways:
This product focused position verifies and validates the functionality of Cummins’ products across a wide range of customer requirements, across a variety of applications, in various environments. This work plans, tracks, and evaluates results from a wide range of analyses and functional tests to assess product risk and performance. These results are expected to drive quality decisions and proactively resolve product issues before the product reaches the customer.
Obtains input and negotiates with Design Verification Plan and Report (DVP&R) stakeholders to define technical requirements and delivers an optimized subsystem-based analytical and experimental verification plan to the program or project team.
Investigates and addresses potential system concerns or issues, understands causal mechanisms, recommends appropriate action, owns problem resolution and documents results with guidance from more experienced team members.
Applies and improves processes such as technical requirements, iDFMEA, Engineering Standard Work (ESW), DVP&R optimization, test standards, and problem solving and tools such as Integrity, Microsoft Power BI, and McParts required to support the processes and enable high quality decision making.
Provides independent leadership of smaller business impact projects or ownership of complex components, products, systems or services with greater elements of ambiguity over the senior or lead engineer level and with full accountability to the project team.
Coordinates and directs work amongst technicians and temporary student employees, assists in the transfer of knowledge to lesser experienced engineers through either indirect (scope of influence) or direct management of a small, local group of engineers.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
Product Verification and Validation Management - Develops product systems validation plans from a variety of inputs to identify failure modes, while managing product risk and relative priority; negotiates product requirements against capability to guide project scope; evaluates analytical, simulation and physical test results to verify product capability and validate requirements; assesses legacy versus proposed system solution capabilities and produces recommendations with technical documentation to support product decisions.
Analytical Modeling and Test Integration/Optimization - Develops a physics-based understanding of customer duty cycles using real world collected data representative of the full range of customer usage; compares analytical and experimental results and resolves differences to maintain calibrated analytical models; generates experimental testing plans that deliver optimal analysis and test coverage.
System Requirements Engineering - Uses appropriate methods and tools to translate stakeholder needs into verifiable requirements to which designs are developed; establishes acceptance criteria for the system of interest through analysis, allocation and negotiation; tracks the status of requirements throughout the system lifecycle; assesses the impact of changes to system requirements on project scope, schedule, and resources; creates and maintains information linkages to related artifacts.
Product Interface Management and Integration - Identifies and analyzes the interfaces and interactions across system boundaries by specifying the requirements and limits to ensure that the product meets requirements; controls the interactions across the system element boundaries by making sure that they remain within specified limits; integrates system elements by creating an integration plan, including identification of method and timing for each activity to make it easier to find, isolate, diagnose, and correct.
Education, Licenses, Certifications
College, university, or equivalent Bachelor's degree in Engineering or other relevant technical disciplines is required.
This position may require licensing for compliance with export controls or sanctions regulations.
Prior Senior or Lead Engineer equivalent work experience in a relevant discipline area is required with a demonstrated track record of technical problem solving and quality decision making. Knowledge of MS Office tools is preferred.
1) Performs vehicle level testing and validation of fuel cell powertrains.
2) Identifies required test cases, develops test plans, coordinates test resources, understands instrumentation requirements, sets up data collection equipment, drives the completion of the test plans, analyzes collected data, creates test reports, and works with engineering teams for issue resolution.
3) Familiarity with CAN channels, dbc files, logging CAN data, using Peak (PCAN View/Explorer), Vector (CANalyzer, vSignalyzer, CANape), National Instruments (Flexlogger) tools, instrumentation types (temp, pressure sensors etc.) and dataloggers (Service Dataloggers and Vector boxes) is preferred.
4) Strong data analysis skills are required. Familiarity with Matlab scripting and ability to read Simulink models is preferred.
5) Utilizes Engineering Standard Work (ESW), Tech Profiles, FEP/CEPs, iDFMEA, Failure Incident Review Group (FIRG) and tools such as 7-step problem solving, design review checklist and other specialized tools required to support vehicle validation process and enable high-quality decision making.
6) Understands schematics/wiring diagrams and system diagnostics/fault codes. Prior system-level troubleshooting experience is preferred.
7) Communicates validation requirements with cross-functional stakeholders and suppliers (internal and external).
8) Participates in PSHA and FMEA assessments on the fuel cell powertrains at component and vehicle level.
9) Familiarity with electrified technologies such as battery electric vehicles, fuel cell electric vehicles, high voltage safety, hydrogen safety is a plus.
10) Collaborates with Purchasing for ordering parts necessary for build, validation, and issue resolution on vehicles. Experience with Ariba is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary rate commensurate with experience. Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
(Insert Country Specific Diversity Sourcing Statement – US statement is listed below)
Cummins and E-verify
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law. Cummins validates right to work using E-Verify. Cummins will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
Primary Location United States-California-West Sacramento-US, CA, West Sacramento, NPBU Office
Job Type Experienced - Exempt / Office
Recruitment Job Type Exempt - Experienced
Job Posting May 12, 2022, 7:22:41 AM
Unposting Date Ongoing
Organization New Power Business
Req ID: 220003F6